Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Art in Oaxaca, Mexico

I'm not a visual artist. I'm a writer. But at a friend's suggestion, I joined her for this: http://www.artworkshopsinoaxaca.com

With the focus on Day of the Dead, I decided my project would be an altar box dedicated to my mother. The instructors were fantastic, and the box, I think, honors my mother's life, her beauty, and her spirit. I also included her twin sister. That 's my aunt on the left and my mom on the right. These are the doors on the outside of the box



Below is the complete view of the inside of the box.


Here's a close up of the inside side panels which reflect her life in California and her last birthday party.




This last picture is a close-up of the center inside panel.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I love it!

A said...

A wonderful beautiful box.

My life so far said...

Beautiful!

Allison said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Mom and Aunt. It's just lovely.