Friday, September 1, 2017

Friday Morning Beach Report: Heron Stalks Fisherman and other news

Here's what the beach looked like when I arrived this morning.

And as if that wasn't enough, there were some dramatic bird goings-on.


There was a great blue heron stalking a fisherman. I've never seen a blue heron on the sand, but since this one could fly, walk, and tiptoe like a thief perfectly well, I guess it was okay. Mostly the herons hang out on the rooftops  and boat docks of the houses in the marina.



I take all my photos with my iPhone and that's painfully obvious here. But this gathering of little white birds (I couldn't quite tell if they were snowy plovers or sanderlings) is only partially captured in the photo. They were just sitting there. Hundreds of them.

And there was beach glass. Nice big chunks of it.


2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I look at that first picture and I can almost hear the slap-and-sigh of early morning tides. Beautiful shots, Denise! iPhone or not! And herons here will absolutely hang out with people fishing, begging like entitled dogs for a share of the catch.

Elizabeth said...

So beautiful -- your part of the world. I love the beach glass -- you need another beach glass project!